The change makes a difference because Typed Racket's type inference
for `cons` is producing a less-accurate answer than it could. When it
sees arguments of type `String` and `(Listof Any)`, it decides that
the result is a `(Listof Any)` instead of a `(Pairof String (Listof
Any))`.

If you add (excessive) annotation like this:

       (apply fprintf (ann (cons (current-output-port) (ann (cons
message messageargs) (Pairof String (Listof Any))))
                           (Pairof Output-Port (Pairof String (Listof Any)))))

then the expression typechecks as written.

However, I think the use of `apply` without the extra `cons` calls is
clearer anyway, in addition to being easier for the type checker.

Sam