On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 2:38 AM Tim Hanson <tbh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi, I've installed and am trying out
>
>   Gregor: a date and time library for Racket
>
> and find it to be very powerful and useful.

Thanks!

> In my current application (digging through mail headers) I'm wondering
> whether there is a way to test whether a given date-time format matches
> without using exceptions. (I assume that would generally be more efficient
> than catching exceptions.)
> [...]
>
> I thought I'd check here:
> - does this seem like a reasonable idea?

It does to me.

> - is mine an unusual use case and most folks know what format to expect and
> the exception approach is fine?

Good question. If you're expecting dates/times to come in a variety of
formats, I can see why you'd want to try out a few of them. And that
is made more difficult by having these functions raise exceptions. So
I think it would have been wiser to make these functions behave the
way you've indicated.

Or maybe partially so...?

The exceptions that occur during a parse can come from three (I hope I
counted them all) three distinct sources:
   - Your pattern may be lexically invalid (e.g., `(parse-datetime
"2/29/2000" "M/f/y")`.)
   - Your pattern may fail to match the input (e.g., `(parse-datetime
"2/29/2000" "MMM/d/y")`.).
   - Your pattern may match the input, but the interpretation of the
input as a date, datetime, etc. may refer to a date that does not
exist in the Gregorian calendar (e.g., `(parse-datetime "2/29/1999"
"M/d/y")` or a date-time that does not exist in a local time zone
(e.g., a time between 2-3 am during a transition to Daylight Saving
Time from Standard Time in the U.S.).

I think the first of these would definitely remain an exception. The
second is the most obvious candidate for returning #f instead of
raising. The third is (to me) the least obvious.

> - is there perhaps an elegant way for me to test with a regular expression
> first rather than adding this function to Gregor?

That would depend on the particular formats you're expecting.