Sorawee Porncharoenwase writes:

>> I hate being at the mercy of whatever editor I'm stuck using.
>

> I agree with this in principle, but in practice, it's really a matter of
> what mainstream editors support. Editors in the past don't universally
> support automatic indentation, and I could imagine a criticism like
> "Indentation sucks, because I hate being at the mercy of whatever editor
> I'm stuck using." But now, automatic indentation is universal, and the
> criticism goes away.

You don't even need to imagine it... when Python was taking off, one of
the biggest arguments was that it forced people to learn to do
reasonable indentation.  Doesn't seem like as much of a good argument
now as I thought it was then, and that's partly because most code is
indented fine these days due to, as you say, good IDE support.