The default build installs "main-distribution", which is the same as what
you get for a regular (not minimal) Racket install. It does, as you
noticed, install a lot of packages.

You can do "make base" instead, which installs no packages. Or you can do
something like 'make PKGS=drracket' which just installs DrRacket and
dependencies, or similar with other packages.

Note that rerunning "make base" will make all your packages disappear if
you install them after running make base the first time.

Sam