On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 5:04 PM Simon Schlee <schleesi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I also would find it interesting to have something functor like, in the
> sense of being able to create parameterized module instances.
> My guess is that constructs like that are difficult to optimize and the
> separation between runtime and compile time can become extremely blurry.
> To the point that certain dynamic constructs would cause big chunks of
> code to become ready for compiling at run-time only and at that time an
> interpreter might be faster.

In fact, Racket has such a construct, units
<https://docs.racket-lang.org/guide/units.html>. They are first-class
values, with run-time operations to link and invoke them, and they allowing
for cyclic dependencies and multiple instantiations of a given unit.

One of the major design goals of units was support for separate compilation
(units predate `module` in Racket), which may rule them out for Nia's goal
of modules with "optional *compile-time* arguments" per se.

I guess I'm interested in what sorts of things these optional arguments
might be used for: if dealing with the arguments could instead be done at
link- or invoke-time, you might be able to use units to implement this
module system. Regardless, I recommend anyone thinking about implementing a
unit-like system look closely at units first: even when I ultimately ended
up implementing my own unit-like system to meet a specific need (this was
part of my RacketCon talk), my experience with units was very valuable in
doing so.

-Philip