I am personally confused about what you think the problem is, so I just
want to make sure that you know that you can develop and test a new
package, or you can modify an existing package and test the modifications,
without publishing the package.

Basically in Racket you can:

* create a new package using "raco pkg new", or clone an existing one
* install the package from the local folder, using "raco pkg install
./my-package"
* make changes and run the tests -- you can keep making changes on the
installed package without having to re-install it
* once the tests pass, you can commit the changes and publish them

"Under raco pkg management" does not mean that the package is publicly
available on the racket package server.  You can keep the package private,
and still be able to install it and run the tests.

Alex.