On Friday, May 29, 2020 at 11:29:38 AM UTC-4, Matthew Flatt wrote:

> DrRacket uses `pretty-print`, which will print numbers using
> `number->string`, and so (I think) won't go through your parameter.

This sounds like a good lead - curious if this also applies to `write` and
`display` as well?
I was having trouble with all three.

> I think there may be problems with parametering the core printer,
> partly because printing is is sometimes used where `read` is supposed
> to work on the result, but I think there may be other issues and I
> haven't thought through them enough.

The intended use is in a setting where `read` has already been extended
(cf. my original question in this thread, which is that the DrRacket
interactions window appears to ignore any `read` extensions provided by a
#lang)

> Just to make sure, does using the pretty printer and its hooks
> (especially `pretty-print-print-hook`) work for your goals?

It sounds like that may be useful for fixing this particular issue with
DrRacket, but I don't think it will meet my goals for the overall project.
One question - to what extent are pretty-print-print-hooks expected to
cooperate with the current value of that parameter when printing compound
or recursive values?
It would be great to install a hook that delegates to the existing hook for
everything but numbers, but that approach not working with
port-print-handler et al. is what led me to parameterizing over all of
print et al.

For example, if for some reason I want numbers to be printed as Roman
numerals, I don't want to reimplement printing lists for `(print '(7))` to
result in `'(VII)`