I wonder if this is a more general TCP/IP issue rather than anything Postgres
specific.  I'm troubleshooting an issue where a TCP connection to a server is
unexpectedly going down, once in a while, with no obvious indication.  The
solution, for now, is to have the client send a sort of ping over the TCP
connection to the server every so often and then establish a new connection if
it doesn't get a response.  In other words, when the connection goes down,
trying to send something over it from the client does not generate an error.  I
haven't found an indication on either the client or server.  So, to detect the
connection failure, you have to look for a lack of response.  This is an
intermittent failure and, as such, very annoying to troubleshoot.