Compared to using curl, the Racket function gives me unacceptably slow
performance in the context of a 3D game I'm making (in which the Racket and
Unreal Engine runtimes are communicating via HTTP requests).

Below is a video to demonstrate the difference.  Notice that when the spell
lands, it's fine if I use curl but has major lag when using get-pure-port*.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTqUFVlfBFA

Any idea why one is slower than the other?

P.S. I thought I sent this message yesterday -- but I don't see it now --
so maybe I didn't send it.  Sorry it somehow gets double posted though.

P.P.S. Potentially related:
https://groups.google.com/g/racket-users/c/_G1ubundOzQ/m/h4FZg1AaCgAJ