I think the issue is with vb. How does it work?

If you try

#lang pollen

@(define (vb . s) s)

◊vb{     A     B
               C     D}

you will find that it outputs:

'(vb "     A     B"
     "\n"
     "           "
     "C     D")

The third element is the space before “C”. It's not discarded.

Also notice that the "start" of the line is at the marker shown below

#lang pollen

@(define (vb . s) s)

◊vb{     A     B
 >>>           C     D}