I've been toying with sound synthesis (and especially additive) within
racket for years, but I mostly do it offline (the aiff/aiffc format is
pretty straightforward to understand even for a programming illiterate like
me). For pseudo real-time you may consider using the command line utility
sox <http://sox.sourceforge.net/>. It can read bytes from its standard
input and forward it to your soundcard output.
Regarding using SC as the audio engine, in my experience the part of rsc3's
code that matters does work despite the error message when installing the
package, but I think it isn't practical for designing instruments and
despite the significant performance gain (350 vs 50 partials in realtime on
an i3) and how satisfying and useful being able to modify and hear
parameter changes live truly is, SC also did come with a few letdowns
compared to what I'm able to achieve within racket...