Hi IF,

I think this is what you want.  You were right about the issue -- you were
consing onto the history list but then immediately throwing away the result
because it wasn't modifying the original history value.

#lang racket

(struct message (str sender recipient) #:transparent)
; This returns a list consisting of the message that we are sending

; out; followed by the message that the participant posted. It will

; be appended; to the history.

(define (say m str)
  (displayln str)
  (list (message str "me" "participant") m))

; start off with an empty history
(let loop ([history '()])
  (display "Input: ")
  (define input  (message (read-line (current-input-port) 'any)
"participant" "me"))
  (display "Chatbot: ")
  (loop
   (append
    (match (message-str input)
      [(regexp #rx"(?i:Hello,* world!)")
       (say input "I would not know about the rest of the world, but I can
hear \
you just fine.")]
      [(regexp #px"(?i:I( am|'m) learning how to program in Racket,*
world!)")
       (say input "Racket is a great language, and it is lovely that you
are \
learning it, but does literally everyone need to know?")]
      [(regexp #px".*,+\\s*world!")
       (say input "Did the whole world really need to hear that?")]
; if your input is DEBUG then it will print out the history but not add to
it
      ["DEBUG" (pretty-print history) '()]
; if you type something unrecognized it will say so
      [else (say input "I didn't understand that")])
    history))
  (loop))

PS  Do I have the salutation right?  Is it 'Hello, IF' or 'Hello, Karona'?