Thanks for the suggestions.  I had not thought about using "terminal" as a
search term since I was expecting to find something that would implement
keyboard shortcuts regardless of whether you are using the command line
(Terminal in Mac and Linux or CMD in Windows)  or not.  It doesn't look like
any of those packages will do what I want easily.  Rackterm would work, since
you can attach menus to it and define the keyboard shortcuts there, except I
want something which will work in an ssh session.  The command prefix idea
seems like the easiest way to go.  I think IRC does something like that.