Another attack of [1]. But yeah, why not do some [2].

Trees to the rescue [3].

$ racket --version
Welcome to Racket v8.0 [cs].

$ racket countwords-bogdan2.rkt <kjvbible.txt |tail -1
cpu time: 135 real time: 135 gc time: 8

$ racket countwords-dzoe2.rkt <kjvbible.txt | tail -1
cpu time: 69 real time: 69 gc time: 3

I just changed (countwords) to (time (countwords)) in Bogdan's code to
measure the running time.

The difference is that I am positively defining which letters form words
(a-z, A-Z) and that all others are treated as word separators. The
buffer size is the same - and honestly, the speedup between 1024 and
1024^2 bytes buffer is barely measurable.

The only option for further speedup I can immediately think of is to
allocate a huge vector of wtnodes and change chld field to be a starting
index into this big vector (should reduce allocations).

Btw, making it unsafe does not speed it up at all (probably CS
recognizes the vectors and all those refs are inlined anyway).

Cheers,
Dominik

[1] https://xkcd.com/386/
[2] http://phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=1735