Dear devs,

we recently had to re-run a large project that we initially worked in
in Sep 2017.  We calculated daylight factors in rooms that are rather
highly obstructed.  I believe the assessment back in Sep 2017 was
carried with HEAD-20160926.  The recent re-run was probably with
HEAD-20171201.

For our daylight factor simulations, with use mkillum with -ab 3.
Apparently, this wasn't quite good enough in this case due to the
highly obstructed nature of the site.  -ab should have been increased
back then, but unfortunately wasn't.  We also use an external ambient
file.

Either way, we are not able to replicate the Sep 2017 results with the
new binaries and ambient file enabled.  The new results (new binaries,
with -af) are up to 40% lower than the old ones.

With the old binaries without an ambient file, we get the same results
that we get with the new binaries (with and without) an ambient file.

In other words:  with the old binaries, the results are different
depending on whether the ambient file is anabled or not.

In the Release Notes
(https://radiance-online.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/ray/doc/notes/ReleaseNotes?view=markup)
on line 2086, I noticed this entry under 'Compatibility Change' for
version 5.1, which was released 8/17/2017:

"Enabled ambient cache value corral for all levels, not just final
two.  This may reduce errors in certain pathological scenes."

This sounds like an explanation of what we are struggling with.  Would
someone (Greg?) be able to offer some extra info on what 'ambient
cache value corral' is (I did google this, but could not find anyting
that seems relevant), and also what constitutes 'pathological scenes'.

Am I right in saying that the new, lower results are more accurate?

Thank you so much.

Cheers

Axel