>After installing "ed", you would need to remove the unedited Version.c
file to recreate it with makeall.

Installing ed didn't solve the problem of Version.c being generated
incorrectly: it just resulted in one more instance being reported of the
compilation error due to the file's contents.

As you said, manually replacing the content of Version.c with the
following, results in the file compiling successfully: char
VersionID[]="RADIANCE 5.2a lastmod Fri Feb 16 10:37:53 PST 2018 by gward on
photon";

At that point I thought I'd just put this doctored Version.c file under
version control and forget about it. Does the fact that the file already
exists cause the build a problem? At first sight, it doesn't seem so.

If instead of doing that I delete the file then makeall will continue to
generate the same problematic file leading to compilation errors, I believe.

Let me know if I need to do something else instead.

Sorry if I am belabouring this but I appreciate your time so I am hoping
that while I may well have repeated the obvious, it may spare you some
effort in replying.

Philip