The newer libtiff you installed probably doesn't have a "distclean" target.  
The one I typically use, which IS included in the rad5R1supp.tar.gz file you 
look under ray/src/px/tiff, does have this target.  In any case, the error just 
means that directory didn't get cleaned of its object files.  It has no bearing 
on the resulting compilation, just the size of the leftovers if you do a final 
"makeall clean" after installing the binaries.

The rest of the output from your build looks like warnings you can ignore.  
Compilers like to add warnings about things they don't understand every year, 
and I simply can't (or don't bother) keeping up with these.

Regarding X11 removal, the top-level directory (ray/) has a file called 
"noX11.help" that explains the changes to make to the Rmakefile's if you don't 
have X11 on your system.

Finally, you don't absolutely need *anything* in the ray/lib directory from 
rad5R1supp.tar.gz.  In fact, you don't need anything from this overlay at all, 
other than the tiff directory if you want to have tiff conversion.  All of the 
auxiliary files that are required to run Radiance are included in the ray/src/* 
directories and installed in the ray/lib directory during build.

I hope this helps.  (Just woke up a bit ago here in California.)

-Greg

> From: Philip Schwarz <philip.johann.schw...@googlemail.com>
> Date: April 6, 2018 3:46:14 AM PDT
> 
> Hello,
> 
> I am seeing the following error again, even after adding the src/px/tiff 
> directory:
> 
> https://gist.github.com/philipjss/bded331695eedfad0e76f48557b21427#file-build-1-console-output-txt-L121-L126
> 
> This is how it looks now:
> 
> cd tiff; make distclean
>   make[1]: Entering directory `/home/radiance/src/px/tiff'
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `distclean'.  Stop.
>   make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/radiance/src/px/tiff'
> make: *** [clean] Error 2
> 
> Should I ignore the error? Is there a way to eliminate it?
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Philip Schwarz
> 
> On 5 April 2018 at 19:43, Philip Schwarz 
> <philip.johann.schw...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> @Greg
> 
> Yes, I can confirm that if I download the Radiance overlay (Auxiliary files) 
> and take the src/px/tiff directory, and add it to the radiance 5.0 codebase 
> that I am trying to build, the following errors go away:
> 
> make clean error
> https://gist.github.com/philipjss/bded331695eedfad0e76f48557b21427#file-build-1-console-output-txt-L121-L126
> 
> Lib tiff error
> https://gist.github.com/philipjss/bded331695eedfad0e76f48557b21427#file-build-1-console-output-txt-L599-L610
> 
> make: Target `install' not remade because of errors.
> https://gist.github.com/philipjss/bded331695eedfad0e76f48557b21427#file-build-1-console-output-txt-L672
> 
> That leaves me with the following:
> 
> Cannot find wish executable in current path -- trad not installed.
> https://gist.github.com/philipjss/bded331695eedfad0e76f48557b21427#file-build-1-console-output-txt-L802-L803
> 
> There were some errors.
> https://gist.github.com/philipjss/bded331695eedfad0e76f48557b21427#file-build-1-console-output-txt-L827
> 
> You have explained why the first is happening, and the second is just a 
> message which would not appear if the first error wasn't there. 
> 
> Thanks for that. Great.
> 
> The Radiance overlay (Auxiliary files) are 380MB (unzipped) - the src/px/tiff 
> directory within them is 8-9MB.
> 
> As you pointed out in another email, I am using a very stripped down version 
> of Linux. amazonlinux 2017.09 is 165MB.
> We want it to be as small as possible to keep down the cost and time it takes 
> to create deploy and run our application in a docker container on AWS.
> 
> Right now, we are going to start off wanting to run just oconv and rtrace. In 
> time, we may run more commands.
> On that basis, adding all of the Radiance overlay to our application seems 
> prohibitive.
> Is there something that conveys how Radiance's various binaries rely on which 
> part of the Radiance overlay?
> E.g. you said that if we can do without ra_tiff then we don't need 
> src/px/tiff - by the way, what is ra_tiff? I don't think I can see it among 
> the binaries created by the build.
> Can oconv and rtrace run without ra_tiff? 
> Does the idea of running without the Radiance overlay make any sense, e.g. if 
> wanting to run just oconv and rtrace?
> What is the set of binaries that can happily run without Radiance overlay? 
> Are oconv and rtrace among them? If not, what portions of the Radiance 
> overlay do they rely on?
> Is it possible to pick and choose, within reason, which parts of the Radiance 
> overlay are needed based on the binaries one wishes to run?
> 
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Philip
> 
> On 5 April 2018 at 18:01, Gregory J. Ward <gregoryjw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> After installing "ed", you would need to remove the unedited Version.c file 
> to recreate it with makeall.
> 
> Regarding your other errors, you need to install the Radiance overlay 
> (Auxiliary files) that includes the src/px/tiff directory (I think).  The 
> link was on the downloads page:
> 
>       
> https://www.radiance-online.org/download-install/radiance-source-code/un-official-head-version
> 
> This is also responsible for the distclean error.  You can just ignore the 
> errors related to libtiff and do without ra_tiff in your distro.
> 
> To run trad, you need to install wish.  If you don't have it, you can't use 
> that program, so it doesn't bother installing.
> 
> -Greg
> 
>> From: Philip Schwarz <philip.johann.schw...@googlemail.com>
>> Date: April 5, 2018 9:19:57 AM PDT
>> 
>> Hello,
>> 
>> now that I no longer get X11-related compilation errors, I am down to the 
>> following 5:
>> 
>> make clean error
>> https://gist.github.com/philipjss/bded331695eedfad0e76f48557b21427#file-build-1-console-output-txt-L121-L126
>> 
>> Lib tiff error
>> https://gist.github.com/philipjss/bded331695eedfad0e76f48557b21427#file-build-1-console-output-txt-L599-L610
>> 
>> make: Target `install' not remade because of errors.
>> https://gist.github.com/philipjss/bded331695eedfad0e76f48557b21427#file-build-1-console-output-txt-L672
>> 
>> Cannot find wish executable in current path -- trad not installed.
>> https://gist.github.com/philipjss/bded331695eedfad0e76f48557b21427#file-build-1-console-output-txt-L802-L803
>> 
>> There were some errors.
>> https://gist.github.com/philipjss/bded331695eedfad0e76f48557b21427#file-build-1-console-output-txt-L827
>> 
>> I would really appreciate it if you could have a quick look.
>> 
>> Is there a quick fix for them?
>> 
>> If not, how serious are they?
>> 
>> Thank you for your help.
>> 
>> Philip
>> _______________________________________________
>> Radiance-dev mailing list
>> Radiance-dev@radiance-online.org
>> https://www.radiance-online.org/mailman/listinfo/radiance-dev
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Radiance-dev mailing list
> Radiance-dev@radiance-online.org
> https://www.radiance-online.org/mailman/listinfo/radiance-dev
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Radiance-dev mailing list
> Radiance-dev@radiance-online.org
> https://www.radiance-online.org/mailman/listinfo/radiance-dev
_______________________________________________
Radiance-dev mailing list
Radiance-dev@radiance-online.org
https://www.radiance-online.org/mailman/listinfo/radiance-dev

Reply via email to