I don't see any.  It's "good enough" for most cases, I believe.

        The unmentioned alternative, of course, is memcached.  It would
take minimal changes to the code, probably a single line in
environment.rb , since ResponseCache piggy-backs on the Rails caching
mechanism.  However, not everyone could run memcached.

Actually, ResponseCache doesn't piggy-back on the rails caching
mechanism - at least not in the sense where it would be simple to swap
in one of the other rails caching backends. However, I think this might
actually be the reason why ResponseCache manages to perform so well -
all the abstraction in the rails caching creates a big performance hit.
Writing an extension that uses memcache rather than the filesystem would
require replacing the entire ResponseCache class.

Dan.