Rainer,

Install piston: 'gem install piston'.  Then go into the vendor directory
and run 'piston convert'.  This will allow you to modify a local copy of
the extensions (and of Radiant), and store that copy in your own repository.

Radiant uses this technique to track its bundled libraries: Rails,
Radius, Redcloth, etc.

Sean