I can't speak for the core team but I wrote my own extension to do the same thing for clarity and simplicity in the UI. Page parts are for the page content (body) and the the other fields are for meta-data (kind of like HTML's <head> vs. <body>). It could be done without (for Radiant or HTML) but is nice for organization and comprehension.

But you are right -- it's all just data. In fact, Radiant could move the slug, breadcrumb -- any field really -- into a page part and it would still be workable.

my $.02 (though probably overpriced).

-Chris

Jim Gay wrote:
I'm curious about why r:meta was implemented. Couldn't you get the same result by using page parts and dropping them in the appropriate place in your layout? I haven't used r:meta yet, so perhaps I'm unaware of some particular benefit

-Jim