Have you considered the share_layouts extension?

http://dev.radiantcms.org/browser/trunk/extensions/share_layouts/README

It's designed for this purpose.

--
John Long
http://wiseheartdesign.com

On May 31, 2008, at 4:13 AM, Alex Wayne wrote:
Alex Wayne wrote:
I have a simple extension with a controller that I want to be publicly
accessible.  The problem is that when I access it, it uses the admin
layout. How do I get the views from my controller to render in the my
site layout as defined by the "Layouts" tab?

It seems to work just fine otherwise, but obviously, the admin layout is
not something I want to show to the public.

After some hacking and reverse engineering the Radiant rendering code, I
managed to come up with this rediculous hack:

 http://pastie.caboo.se/206357