Jim,

While I agree with your idea in principle, the primary unit of manipulation in the interface is the whole page, including its parts; parts are not edited independently. How do you envision this working?

Sean

Jim Gay wrote:
I haven't had time to work on this myself, but I was thinking about the interface and I'm curious to hear how the community expects this to work.

Once a site is up and running, I would expect that people would want to use drafts in 2 different ways. 1) each page has a draft. Any and all associated parts would be reviewed prior to publishing. (This is what Jamey described) 2) each page_part has a draft. Users could write drafts for individual parts.

I would think that option 2 is what would happen more often. An example I imagine is editing several parts on an "About Us" page. The "introduction" part might rarely change, but the "bios" part may need drafts as staff members come and go. I wouldn't want to be forced to review the "introduction" with each staff change only to find that nothing at all has changed in that part. If we view the entire page as a draft, I would expect that this would be the behavior of the reviewer. On the other side of that coin, I wouldn't want to just assume that the "introduction" part is unchanged when someone actually did change it and made changes that I would not allow if I spent the time to review it.

If, however, the reviewer knows that only certain parts have drafts, it makes the reviewing much easier.

Whenever I think about drafts, I think of them on a per part basis because users are likely to change content only in important parts, not necessarily all of them. Having a separate "staging" instance increases this problem to need to review the entire site. It's great for a re-launch, but day-to-day changes would be frustrating.

There is certainly a lot of interest in "drafts" but aside from Jamey, I haven't heard much about how people expect this to work. I can imagine that, like me, some expectations differ quite a bit from what others expect from "drafts".

Does everyone agree with Jamey, that a per page draft is what you'd want?

-Jim