That was a big help Sean. Thanks.

I have the basics started with editable regions and in trying to make this extension as helpful as possible I've commented the help_extension.rb and README with details about setting up regions.

Chris, take a look if you haven't tried it yourself yet:
http://github.com/saturnflyer/radiant-help/tree/master/help_extension.rb

On an unrelated note, can anyone tell my why this line in my HAML isn't being parsed properly?
http://github.com/saturnflyer/radiant-help/tree/master/app/views/admin/help/index.html.haml#L36
The output is as if that div is never declared.