Hi,

I raised the role issue in response to a question regarding SCM'ing
templates a week or so back...

  http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/152887

Anyway, to repost a few relevant points. My first thought was to keep
the the 3-tier (renaming Developer for Designer) - but juggling some of
the privileges about. A couple of days later, nearing delivery of a
site, I actually countered it with a need for 4-tiers (and still
juggling privileges about).

Jonathan McCoy later wrote:
> I've monkey-patched a frozen version of Radiant (0.6.7) with some of the
> functionality I lusted for above. No testing or a "designer" flag (just
> put snippets on the Admin/Dev level). I'd be more inclined to assemble
> patches and tests (to the spec above) if anybody else was interested in
> it being pushed into the trunk?
>
> Would be nice to review the user levels available - or if we're all
> feeling code-happy, granular access control. I can foresee the need for
> the following roles at least:
>
> 1. Content Monkey (pages + preferences)
> 2. Designer (+ layouts + snippets)
> 3. Developer (+ extensions)
> 4. Administrator (+ user management)

> I'd keep the developer flag for the
> benefit of extensions/plugins that need technical setup. Another
> question, is whether flags are more desirable than a user-level number
> (ie 1 to 4) or even a class-name, which can be mapped out to a role
> name. A popup list with userlevels can be used instead. It removes the
> uncertainty of having admin flagged, but developer unflagged -> what
> rights does the user have?!

Jon.