Apparently the Phusion guys have backported the security fixes to 1.8.6-p111 in their Ruby Enterprise edition. Might be worth checking out if you're stuck between security issues and a broken ruby.

http://blog.phusion.nl/2008/06/23/ruby-186-p230187-broke-your-app-ruby-enterprise-edition-to-the-rescue/