Just for reference.  I solved this with the patch provided in
http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg528878.html.

  Just add:

---- 8< ----
unless '1.9'.respond_to?(:force_encoding)
  String.class_eval do
    begin
      remove_method :chars
    rescue NameError
      # OK
    end
  end
end

   To your environment.rb (adding it to config/initializers/ as suggested in
the URL above won't work in Radiant).

   /AITOR