I've been meaning to resurrect our RBAC extension for a while now. This will probably be the impetus for me to add all the features that have been bouncing around in my head

http://github.com/saturnflyer/radiant-rbac-base-extension/tree/master

It was originally built to allow extension developers to control their own roles, but it could grow to override the Radiant roles. Perhaps it will give people some ideas, or we could add to it

-Jim