It looks to me like Paperclipped has it's own version of Image Magick, so you don't have to install it. (please, someone correct me if I'm wrong) It's been a while, but I think I didn't bother installing Image Magick on my machine because of the headache, and here is Paperclipped creating thumbnails for me somehow...

Now, disabling thumbnail creation for the sake of saving resources.. I have my doubts about how easy that would be to do..

-C
PS: I just tried Paperclipped today. Wholly awesome Batman! Why wasn't it listed on the wiki? I was amazed and slightly ticked that it was such a secret... (I made sure to add it to the wiki)