On Sep 18, 2008, at 9:16 AM, Mohit Sindhwani wrote:
Jay Levitt wrote:
richard apodaca wrote:

ut having had some time to work with the system I built has convinced me that this probably wasn't a good idea. (Although it was a great learning
exercise.) Now I lean toward letting Radiant do what it's good at -
handle static content. At the same time let blogging engines do what
they're good at - handle frequently-updated content. Mixing the two isn't
worth the effort, IMO

As someone who's perpetually "going to put my blog back up" with Radiant: What did you find that Radiant didn't handle well? It seems like it *should* be easy enough to add new blog entries through the admin page, but of course, I haven't tried that yet... does it force you to do too much thinking (category, etc) before you write?

Actually, my answer will be quite different from what Richard has to say. However, I feel that for me there were 2 things that convinced me to go with Mephisto in the beginning:
* No "out-of-box" support for tagging
* No "out-of-box" support for comments

When I set up my blog, I had very little exposure to Radiant and I was seeing it as a Content Management System - and at that point, Mephisto looked more like "a blog". That's how I started with Mephisto rather than Radiant. Since then, I've got quite involved with Radiant (as you probably know) and I think I know now (thanks to the recent articles) how to migrate the blog to Radiant...

Radiant was originally built to be a CMS and Mephisto a blog, so it's no surprise that you felt that way.

I've been working on some blogging features:

http://github.com/saturnflyer/radiant-blog-extension/tree/master (adds tags to loop through authors and their pages, pulled in ideas from nelstrom's sibling_tags)

http://github.com/saturnflyer/radiant-dashboard-extension (provides recent activity with hooks for extension developers to add their own stuff - still in development, but it works)

http://github.com/saturnflyer/radiant-site_watcher-extension (provides popular pages tags and uses Dashboard if installed to display a list of popular pages - still in development, but it works)

http://github.com/jomz/radiant-tags-extension (I added features to allow complex strings for tags so you can do "My Category 1; My Category 2" if you prefer)

http://github.com/saturnflyer/radiant-wordpress_link_saver-extension (doesn't do the migration, but will ensure that links from wordpress such as "mysite/this/?p=123" find the page with that "wordpress_id"

I think the interface still needs to change a bit for blogging to feel right, but I hope these additions help.

Jim Gay
http://www.saturnflyer.com