On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 10:05 AM, Hamish Rickerby
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Quite a few of those services have "official" or unofficial ruby
> libraries so you don't need to roll your own.
>
> last.fm - http://scrobbler.rubyforge.org/
> Twitter - http://twitter4r.rubyforge.org/
> Google Calendar - http://rubyforge.org/projects/gcalapi/ (never seen this
> one before, no idea how good it is)

Thanks. Those will be useful if I write my own extensions.

> In terms of a general purpose API helper library, I don't know of
> anything.  If you find out please let me know!  I keep writing the
> libraries myself with SOAP4R and Hpricot and would love to stop doing so.

I toyed with SOAP4R a while back, and found it easier to craft the XML by
hand. It got tricky when I had to deal with FedEx's
<q0:RateAvailableServicesRequest />... that q0 part doesn't play well with
Builder. Thankfully, though FedEx's v3 web services work well enough without
the q0, so xml.RateAvailableServicesRequest :xmlns => "
http://fedex.com/ws/rate/v3"; is acceptable. I do, however, have to return
"<SOAP-ENV:Envelope xmlns:SOAP-ENV=\"
http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/\"; xmlns:SOAP-ENC=\"
http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/\"; xmlns:xsi=\"
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance\"; xmlns:xsd=\"
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema\
"><SOAP-ENV:Body>#{xml.target!}</SOAP-ENV:Body></SOAP-ENV:Envelope>".

--
Tim