On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 6:59 PM, Errol Siegel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Does anybody have any advice for how to go about this?
>
> I'm pretty new to Capistrano.  Is there a simple way to have Capistrano
> tar up the files locally, upload them to the production server, then
> replace the existing files with the uploaded files?
>
> The last part seems easy enough -- I get that I can use 'run' to run
> commands on the remote server.  I'm just not sure how to have it run
> commands locally and upload files.

I too am curious about this. It would be great to have an entire copy of the
production site on my laptop, but I have no idea which commands I would run
to to make that happen. It was my impression, before looking into
import_export and super_export, that those extensions did that kind of thing
(with or without Capistrano). I was mistaken, but I am still curious how
others are using those extensions on a daily basis to maintain some sort of
parity between their dev and production sites.

~Nate