Nate:

Here is what I have picked up so far:

First, to answer one of my own questions, you can use 'system' in a
capistrano task to run local commands (as opposed to using 'run' to run
commands on remote servers).

Next, here are a couple of links to capistrano/rake tasks others have
created to pull down databases and/or files from the production
server(s) to the local dev machine:

http://www.artima.com/forums/flat.jsp?forum=123&thread=185948
http://nateclark.com/articles/tag/capistrano

I suppose the benefit of using import_export would be that in theory you
could use it to move data between a mysql production database to an
sqlite dev database (for example).  The links above assume you are using
the same type of database in both environments (perhaps a reasonable
limitation for many people).