My assertion was that anyone who has gone to the effort of changing the browsers background color is well prepared to deal with the mess they make if they choose black for instance, i.e. those same people are also likely to have user level css applied in addition to deal with when this happens. I think this just happens to be one of his pet issues.

http://www.zeldman.com/2007/06/18/bgcolor-follies/
http://www.zeldman.com/2008/11/07/is-your-websites-underwear-showing/