In general, I would use git submodules. However, you need to make sure that you have this in the config/deploy.rb file:

set :git_enable_submodules, true

That will force capistrano to run `git submodule init && git submodule update` when checking out the project.

If your extensions have submodules of their own (i.e. plugins like attachment_fu), it's a good idea to manually install those in your project's vendor/plugins as submodules. (We may add this in the near future to script/extension).

Bear in mind that if you're using 0.6.7 or later (which I hope you are), you don't need the 'shards' extension.

I've had submodules blow up on me, but that happened only when people were working on separate branches in parallel, changed the submodules in a branch, and later merged.

Sean

Michael Krisher wrote:
I've now gone back and removed the extensions and am starting over.
I have installed ray using `./script/extension install ray`, added the ray
directory in git, did a deploy_via :copy and checked and sure enough the
files are missing from the ray directory on production. I'm also noticing
the shards directory in extensions is not being copied over either.
Obviously this is all caused by Git. Anyone know how I add the files to my
git repo so cap deploys them?

-- Mike