Actually, I should probably clarify. I agree that IF you are going to use an XML paradigm, better to leave it be. That said as Radiant's been growing in popularity, I've been seeing more and more people hitting a wall here.

I'm starting to wonder whether using an XML paradigm is really best. After all, I wouldn't think that the target Radiant user is necessarily familiar with XML. (And <a href="<r:slug/>/" title="<r:title/>"/>Link Text</a> isn't all that elegant or XML consistent either -- as Sean noted).

I realize that Radius' goal of maintaining simplicity is good -- I want elegance too -- but has anyone given any thought to these kinds of needs. My vote was with the desire for consistency, but that does still leave the legitimate, requested need un-addressed here.

-Chris

Chris Parrish wrote:
+1

Sean Cribbs wrote:
Adam van den Hoven wrote:
EEEWWW NOO!

Please don't do this. If you are going to use an XML paradigm for your DSL then stick to it. There is nothing that makes my skin crawl more than seeing tags as attribute values.

Aside from pure aesthetics (which is considerable), there is the matter of tooling. I can find extensible WYSIWYG XML widgets (they're not as common or as cheap as I'd like) and none of them will never be able to handle this (IMHO, extending XML widgets may be better in the long term than wrapping textile or what have you). And and you'll never be able to debug it.

I hate that we do this now for HTML attribute values, lets not pollute the paradigm more. Otherwise rolling something into HAML would be better (I'm guessing)
YAY! Someone who agrees with me!

The caveat, of course, is that often you need to put Radius tags inside the attributes of HTML tags. But that's because Radius is not strict XML, but interpolated. When explaining Radius to a local web design meetup, one sorta-technical guy suggested we use an XML parser/XSLT and I had to tell him no. It only looks like it could be.