Nate,

It seems to me that what is missing is a blow by blood dripping, gut wrenching, soul ripping blow account (was that over the top?) of how to get something going with Templates. You should be writing down your experiences to share with the rest of us. I'm sure the Radiant Wiki has room for such a thing.

Adam