jason white wrote:
hello all,   I have downloaded and installed Radiant CMS. I followed the
instructions in the handbook, and was able to get the application running
using script/server -e production. Now i'm in the process of using Phfusion
Passenger to server the application. What are the necessary changes that
would need to be made to have the application function? The posts on setting
up Radiant with Dreamhost are excellent, but i'm trying to do the same thing
with Linode.

Its really simple:

  Given that you have superuser privileges on Linode
  And that you have installed and configured Apache
  When you install passenger gem
  And run passenger-install-apache2-module
  Then you should see (and follow) the instructions

In other words (:

$ sudo gem install passenger
$ sudo passenger-install-apache2-module

...follow the instructions...

Restart the apache.

If you happen to be running Arch linux on Linode as I do, then you're also running ruby 1.8.7. In order for Radiant to run under ruby 1.8.7 you need to add[1] at the top of your config/environment.rb:

unless ‘1.9′.respond_to?(:force_encoding)
  String.class_eval do
    begin
      remove_method :chars
    rescue NameError
      # OK
    end
  end
end

You should also keep in mind that Radiant will now run under Apache privileges, so you'll have to give apache write permission to the cache dir (and everything in it).

Again, restart the apache. Or, better, simply run:

  $ touch tmp/restart.txt

(you'll need to create tmp dir, as radiant would not do this for you)

Voila.

--
[1] http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/2009/01/02/ruby-187-upgrades/