I just started reading the wiki docs... I went into the wiki, then opended the "All Pages" section so I could see everything, then just started reading.

Its really not that difficult. The extension guide was pretty good but some more detail would've helped.

I do use a news section albeit not a standard news area, I just group the postings by year and pull them as an archive page.