Hi Susan,
Have you set a layout for your page? Pages do inherit layouts from their
parents but, naturally, the root page needs to have a layout set. If that's not
it, have a look at your log at [path_to_app]/log/[environment].log -- you'll
usually find some information regarding your problem there.

Best regards
Chris