I had tagging on a earlier version of paperclipped, it was actually very to add. You could install the tagging extension, which I believe is based on has_many_polymorphs. Then just tell the tag model to reference assets as well as pages. Let me know if you need any pointers.

Personally, I have been thinking of adding collections. For the way I use assets (and my customers) Ithink it makes more sense, but then I haven't had any time to work on it...