I just ran into this same problem following this guide:
http://wiki.radiantcms.org/How_To_Use_The_Mailer_Extension

Turns out that you don't need to specify a "Mailer" type. Also, the "config"
page part that the How To describes is wrong. Following the readme on the
extension's git page - http://github.com/radiant/radiant-mailer-extension -
I discovered that the "config" page part should in fact be named "mailer."

Moral of the story... make sure to study the current documentation as it
seems the How To doc is slightly outdated...

Dave