I think probably you misunderstood the configuration

MEMBER_LOGIN_PATH is the URL for the login form of your website. The site user will be able to login from this page

MEMBER_HOME_PATH - is the default home for logged in members. The site user will be redirected to this page after he logs in. But this page is not necessarily the site home page.

MEMBERS_ROOT - all the pages that have this as parent will require member login.

My advice is to create a new test project... bootstrap the project, and choose the "styled blog" option. This option we used when we created the extension.