After some more playing around, I've got a pretty good workflow for using compass. There may be a simpler way to do this, but the start up costs are pretty small, so I just go with the flow. This avoids the haml version conflicts and gem requirements, because, as Sean metioned, the files don't need to be generated at runtime.

Follow the instructions on setting up compass with a rails app (tweak your css paths accordingly)
Immediately delete the config/initializer/compass.rb initializer
Immediately delete the vendor/plugins/haml/init.rb file
run compass --watch (which watches & compiles your .sass files, a la autotest)
Have fun styling
When you're at a stopping point, ^C auto of compass, commit your changes to your repos (public/stylesheets/compiled will be modified), push, then deploy. Or, cut and paste the css files back into Radiant.

Aloha a hui hou,
Ken
--
Ken Mayer / kma...@bitwrangler.com / 808-722-6142 / http://www.bitwrangler.com/