Ah, the <pre> was in the original e-mail you sent me via GitHub :) Anyhoo tried it and although the server now
boots fine, I'm still getting the usual "application" error :

"#<MissingSourceFile: no such file to load -- application>

It' not a problem for me, as I have already updated, all but one of my extensions, to work with 0.8.0. I was just testing it out on an extension, that I knew worked perfectly 0.8.0, as long as the "application_controller bit was there. I was hoping that this fallback code would enable me to remain on 0.8.0 and also use 0.7.1 for my one hod-out Styles_n_Scripts).

It does seems reasonable that if one has both the 0.7.1 and 0.8.0 gems installed, that extensions could be written to call whichever gem resource is needed. I thought this was the backwards compatibility you were referring to?

I don't want to to belabor the issue further. No Worries here and thanks for taking the time.

Always Victory!
-Daniel