On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 12:26 PM, Anton Aylward <anton.aylw...@rogers.com>wrote:

> Arthur Gunn said the following on 10/12/2009 08:24 AM:
> >> Perhaps, then, you can suggest a source of "How To" for GIT for
> >> non-developers.
> >
> > There are no end of resources out there, my personal recommendation
> > though:
> >
> > http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~blynn/gitmagic/<http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/%7Eblynn/gitmagic/>
>
> Ah.  about 50 pages more than I wanted.
> Telling me all the things that as a non-developer I don't need to know
> about, and not answering fundamental questions like "when do I have to
> worry about a 'module' or 'submodule'" and "how can I keep from geting
> an update from 0.9 when I've got a 0.6.9 based application" or vice
> versa, and "what if I'm using 0.9 and I try to ... clone? ... an
> extension that hasn't a 0.9 revision now but will have in the future"?
>
> I'm sure I'm not the only person on this list who has questions like that.

I can assure you that you are not. I am also come from a 'non-developer'
background (wishing I had gotten that CS degree, though) and I blazed the
git trail myself back in January when I moved a project from 0.6.9 to 0.7.0.
There is a lot to learn, especially if you haven't worked with source
control before.

I tell ya what, I have been meaning to resurrect/rebuild my long dormant
blog and I'll make that the first topic. If you can give me a few days I'll
compile a short "Newbies guide to Git and Radiant" describing my whole
development process. It's something I promised to do a long time ago and
never had the time.

In the meantime, if you have any specific questions about the process,
please ask them. So far I see the git-related questions are:
- What are submodules? Which is really a question about how to install
extensions when your project is managed with git and is related to using
Ray.
- How can I make sure the extension I am using will work with my project
running v.X.X.X?

This isn't a git question that I intend to cover because I think it is in
the wiki already, but I'll answer it here:
- How can I install newer gem versions of Radiant but stay with 0.6.9 on
this project?

By default, Radiant will try and use the latest version of the gem that you
have installed. To use a specific version of Radiant, go into environment
file (config/environment.rb) and add this line under the "require 'radius'"
line (substitute your version for 0.8.1):
RADIANT_GEM_VERSION = '0.8.1'
Then save the file and restart the server.

What I am not certain on is how you *create* a Radiant project using a
specific version of the gem. If anyone could chime in here it would be
great. I didn't see it mentioned in the wiki either.

I hope that clears up some part of your confusion, Arthur. Like I said, I'll
get to the git 'splaining shortly. I know what it's like to have a developer
point you to a source of info chock-full of stuff that you don't understand
when you ask what seems like a simple question.

~Nate