It really sounds like more of a drupal/joomla option (portals!) than a
Ruby on Rails/Radiant one. But the benefits of choosing Radiant:
- it can be a portal, including paypal and blogging
- the support network is vast (many rubyists)
- there is a distinction between the administrators/writers/viewers,
and it's very clear.

I'm actually shocked that you considered WPMU as that would get ugly
fast ;) There are enterprise-level private software options for
large-scale deployments.

one thing to consider with Christian's remarks:
- caching removes the necessity of hierarchical lag times
- I doubt Radius tags would play in this much, except perhaps for the
portal-esque aspects of the site.

Regarding your checklist:
- private messaging. Currently haven't seen an extension that does
this, though you could write your own of course.
- member profiles, same as above
- photo publishing experience. Not sure what this means. Adding and
displaying your own photos? You may have to extend an existing
extension.
- mobile support- also not sure. You mean the site reduces to a mobile
version? Also haven't heard of one (though there could be one)
- paypal integration- I've done this with WP and it's pretty much in
PayPal's court. The elements in the site are minimal, and analytics-
for google, at least, there are 3 or so extensions that do this.  Not
sure what "premium features" are.
- private/public sites/blogs  - well, radiant is built for the public
site. The private? There are user extensions, and administrative side,
and setting up userAuth is easy, so I could imagine this could be done
easily. I am not aware of an extension for it specifically.

With all that in mind, for a kind of spec that you're defining,
usually that is homegrown.

Anna