[Using Radiant 0.9]

I've got an extension that adds a tab and two sub tabs, and I'd like the top
tab to be visible only when the current user meets certain criteria (e.g.
whose username is part of a hard-coded list, to use a simple example). How
would I pull this off? I'm looking at the SNS extension as an example of an
extension that adds two sub tabs if the user is an admin, but I'm not really
"getting" what's going on--it seems to me that I should be seeing some sort
of conditional logic before the call to 'tab', but I'm not seeing it.

-dan