Just my $0.02...

(1). I think that what Radiant provides in terms of content control to
develop and maintain a website is great. It's mixture that developers
(like myself) love for its power of customization, and it's not too
hard for a non-developer to quickly pick up. If a content editor can't
understand page parts and radius tags and how to use them, perhaps
they should not be meddling with content. I think by dumb-ing things
down too much for your average user will get in the way of Radiant's
power users and/or developers.

(2). There I can't agree with you more. From personal experience, the
largest drawback for Radiant is lack of page access controls. Yes,
there are  extensions like members and reader, that allowed us to
create our own login system to serve personalized content. But these
extensions (and our system based on them) are ugly hacks (e.g. piggy-
backing on class-methods to make current_user available in tags, etc).
I think page access control (with something like Roles) with
personalized content is something that is a must-have for a serious
CMS.

(3). I have mixed feelings about this. Yes, upgrading should be
easier. But if you use a lot of extensions, some of them may not be
maintained by authors, and may not work with new Radiant versions,
etc. Radiant is a developing CMS, and it's APIs change all the time,
so there is a lack of stable API, which makes any meaningful attempts
of straight upgrades hard (or even impossible) a lot of the time. At
the same time, I feel uneasy letting end-users conduct upgrades to
software components. Speaking from experience, I see this as a source
of many problems.