On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 9:14 PM, Marc <marc.bosc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> If I have a site with a number of extensions installed and I had to
> drop the database and want to reinitialise it what are the steps?
>
> I've tried
>  rake production db:bootstrap --trace
>
> which fails due to missing columns that are part of various
> extensions.
>
> I've tried
>  rake production db:migrate
>
> after to try and fix that, but the admin pages seem to disallow any
> activity that would change the database…
>
> Regards,
>
> Marc

Here's the short answer: move your extensions into a different
directory, bootstrap, and then move them back and migrate the
extensions

It probably depends on your extensions.
Some are written blindly updating the existing models with assumptions
that the database exits.
An extension might add a column to the database and
validate_presence_of for that column, for example.
Some extensions might be fine, and others kill bootstrapping. So its
easier to just bootstrap without any of them, and then add them back.

--
Jim Gay
Saturn Flyer LLC