Umm, far be it for me to express what is the standard / recommended
Radiant Way™. It is still very early days for me and Radiant (not to
mention blowing the dust off my Ruby and Rails knowledge).

I just saw it as a way to achieve multiple behaviour from the one
transaction without forking the code. That said many people do seem to
fork things to get what they want, and push back if they are generous.
The prefix addition would be a natural example of forking rather than
just creating an additional extension, in your case.

I've used mailer for a simple contact form. My cursory look at the
code didn't suggest a clean way to be able to use the one form
submission to generate two separate emails.

Marc